Fall into a New Routine for a Renewed You
Heading into the fall months is often synonymous with getting back into a different routine.
I tend to fall somewhere in between wanting the freedom and flexibility to go with the flow yet I also know that a well-structured routine helps keep me stay focused to get things done. Daily rituals keep me aligned with my health and wellness goals.
The mind-body connection is real. When we move our bodies intentionally our mind is positively influenced.
By establishing a daily routine, we can set aside time to take care of tasks and prioritize our mental and physical health. Routines are essential at every stage of life—from childhood and adolescence to adulthood. They help us cope with change, create healthy habits, improve interpersonal relationships, and reduce stress.
How do you want to feel heading into the fall months?
To feel and be your best, answer these three questions:
1. What do I need to STOP doing?
2. What do I need to KEEP doing?
3. What do I need to START doing?
Set aside time each day (even if it is just 5-10 minutes) to take care of your well-being daily.
Here are 7 fun ideas:
1. Try a new recipe – School of Happiness member April suggests Fun Food Friday! Get creative in the kitchen and enjoy food that makes your heart sing! Try Laura's latest Cookie Trio Recipes to Spark Joy HERE...
2. Take a 5 minute stretch break a few times per day. You’ll reduce joint pain and keep your brain functioning optimally. Pick your favourite yoga posture, breathe and explore it fully or simply enjoy stretching your body intuitively.
3. Go to bed an hour earlier – we need 7-9 hours of quality sleep to function optimally. Sleep allows us to consolidate and store memories, process emotional experiences, replenish glucose (energy that fuels the brain), and clear out beta-amyloid (the waste product that builds up in Alzheimer’s patients and disrupts cognitive activity).
4. Sit quietly to clear your mind and connect to your Source – inner calm feels good, it is also healing, and you’ll tap into your internal GPS to sharpen your intuition. Just like our body benefits from movement, our mind benefits from stillness. Try meditation, breathwork or yoga nidra.
5. Practice slow rhythmic breathing like the cardiac coherence method before starting your day to relieve anxiety, keep inflammation levels lower and augment your natural feelings of joy. Try the 5 minute Chaos to Calm audio in at the School of Happiness HERE.
6. Infuse some play time into each week – when is the last time you had a good belly laugh? Having fun boosts your happiness hormones, makes you more creative and improve relationships.
7. Include physical activity most days of the week. Set aside time to focus on your physical health. You don’t need to spend hours in the gym every day to enjoy the benefits of exercise. If you’re short on time, scheduling a few minutes of interval training an boost your self-esteem, improve your mood, and provide numerous mental health benefits. Our FunFit classes will do the trick! Try this FunFit Bender Ball routine in whole or even just a segment of it. You'll find the class at this link on the bottom of the page.
It takes 21 days to form a new habit and 90 days to change a behaviour.
The same goes for sticking with a new routine. If you set and stay with a new plan for at least three weeks, there’s a good chance you’ll stick to the routine for a long time. When it comes to mental and physical health, a daily routine can make a significant difference in our mood, productivity, vitality and longevity.
Making changes to your daily life can be challenging at times and you might forget to follow your routine every once in a while. You don’t have to be perfect—if you miss a day, try to do better the next day. We can always begin again.
Be careful not to over schedule yourself. Over committing can leave you feeling overwhelmed and quitting before you reach your desired outcome. Leave some space to go with the flow and enjoy the process.
After a refreshing summer break, we’re back online as of September 7th!
You are welcome to come move and be moved.
Looking for greater calm, relaxation, better sleep? Try yoga for relaxation Wednesday at 6pm EST. All classes are recorded and available in our members library. All resources to be well are there for you when you need it the most.
If you want to improve your posture, ease aches and pains and get back in shape, try the FunFit classes Tuesday at 5:30EST, we have hundreds of recorded classes targeting hips, shoulders, back, energy, stamina, strength, flexibility, stress release and more...
Or, start the week with a Monday morning Hatha yoga flow at 8:30am EST. Enjoy Laura’s favourite morning routines to get the juices flowing leaving you feeling supple and smiley all day long 🙂
Try these free demo sessions:
Gentle yoga express flow or FunFit Tune-Up or Guided meditation chaos to calm HERE
Do you work for a company who cares about employee well-being? We are proud to offer corporate wellness programs on a variety of topics through our Be Well 360 program.
Lunch and Learn sessions: Wellness at your Desk, Happiness Habits at Home and at Work, Sleep Better – Perform Better, Embrace Change while staying Happy and Well, Back Care programs along with a full video library to help you schedule daily energy breaks addressing multiple levels of wellness.
Be a corporate athlete; fit to handle any challenge. We’ll help you get fired up and focused or de-stressed and in your Zen zone when it matters the most.
Connect with us to start a conversation about how we can help your organisation design a wellness culture at work: email@example.com
In health and happiness, be well friends.