Happiness Habits with Dai Manuel
Dai Manuel shares his secrets to a happy life. A super dad, dating his wife, with a lead by example way of living and a contagious personality. He’s on a mission to positively impact one million role models around the globe.
Happiness Habits from the Heart
Laura Warf speaks to Dai Manuel
November 20, 2020
In a world where we could all use a daily dose of happiness. What are your “go-to” habits lately to keep you feeling uplifted both on the inside and out?
I am inspired following my last conversation with Dai Manuel, lifestyle mentor, coach and purveyor of happiness!
He talked about the importance of a healthy daily ritual to feel your best.
I like to start my day quietly with meditation and rhythmic breathing to tune into my inner world which helps me cultivate a sense of calm and steadiness for my day. Then Shiva reminds me it is “doggie-time” and we should get going for our morning walk. Of course he has important “pee-mails” to send around the neibourhood 🙂
Movement has always been like magic for my mental and physical well-being and Dai discusses how “time-blocking” a “power hour” in the morning keeps him fired up and at his best for the rest of the day.
Physical movement matters on so many levels, you’ve heard it by now. Better circulation promotes good health, vibrant energy, glowing skin, a boosted immune system and a little exercise helps re-wire our brain to keep us sharper and more focused.
Exercise has multiple physical health benefits. It can also have a positive impact on emotional well-being.
If you’ve heard of a “runner’s high,” you might already know about the link between exercise and endorphin release.
But exercise doesn’t just work on endorphins. Regular physical activity can also increase your dopamine and serotonin levels, making it a great option to boost your happy hormones.
And you don’t need to go for a run either. An image of my mom pops into mind; whenever an Elvis tune would play on the radio, she would crank up the volume and bust a move in the kitchen. And my father-in-law is still on his yoga mat each morning at 6am doing his stretching routine so he can avoid feeling like the tin man. Just get up and move.
Choose an activity and do it regularly. Your body, mind, heart and emotions will thank you for it.
Dai has so many other Happiness and Well-Being habits to share with us.
I am already setting up my calendar this week with his “time-blocking” advice to help reduce feelings of overwhelm, anxiety or procrastination. A great way to stay organized and sane with so much going on this year!
Dai Manuel is a super dad, dating his wife, with a lead by example way of living and a contagious personality, who is on a mission to positively impact one million role models around the globe to lead a FUN-ctionally fit life through education, encouragement, and community.
Here are some of the wisdom nuggets you will discover in this conversation. Enjoy 🙂
Dai’s Nuggets of Wisdom
- 1:54 Dai's definition of Happiness
- 2:50 The feelings of true inner happiness
- 6:06 Chasing Happiness vs sustainable joy
- 8:19 Dai's daily ritual - his morning power hour
- 10:05 His 30-year habit to manage emotions and make daily challenges less challenging
- 12:19 Keep your couple connected; try this bedtime ritual
- 14:28 Manage overwhelm, anxiety and procrastination with this tip
- 18:35 Celebrate successes to increase your happy neurotransmitters
- 23:18 Your happiness is not contingent on anybody else
- 24:54 Whenever you "struggle with the juggle", do this first
- 26:05 3-step process to manage any struggle
- 28:03 Make your day flow: determine your "big rock" of the day
- 29:59 Dai's Five-F model to a healthier, happier lifestyle
- 40:42 The digital nomad life travelling and living in Bali
- 46:05 With a chronic auto-immune disorder Dai was told he should live in a bubble. How he defied his Dr's advice
- 47:59 Three questions to ask yourself when you feel it is time for a change
Click on this link to be directed to our Happiness Habits conversation.
Follow the School of Happiness online:
View daily health and happiness tips on our Facebook page: LWSchoolOfHappiness
Happiness and Well-Being in the workplace on LinkedIn @ Laura Warf